Our services, mission and values
The Teaching and Learning Support Service (TLSS) acts as a catalyst for the transformation of teaching and learning in line with the University's strategic objectives and has an important mandate to collaborate with the University's departments and faculties.
What is the TLSS
Teaching and Learning Support Services (TLSS):
- Support and promote excellence and innovation in teaching and learning;
- Enrich and transform teaching and learning experiences through the use of inclusive and innovative pedagogies and technologies;
- Anticipate and prepare the university community for the realities of post-secondary education today and tomorrow.
With a team of some 60 experts, the TLSS offers services in university pedagogy, curriculum development and evaluation, online instructional design, graphic design, user experience design and online ergonomics (UI/UX), web programming and development, learning management systems and educational technologies, innovative classroom design, audio-visual and videoconferencing equipment, videography and video editing and distance education.
The Teaching and Learning Support Services (TLSS) stands out by:
- Supporting excellence and innovation in teaching and learning;
- Enriching and transforming teaching and learning experiences through innovative and more agile teaching methods and technologies;
- Preparing the university community for new societal realities and the new context of higher education;
- Impacting the student experience;
- Supporting other units in expanding the training offer to clienteles outside of the University's regular student body.
The Teaching and Learning Support Services (TLSS) draws its strength from a team of experts in various fields:
- Faculty development and techno-pedagogy to support the development and implementation of instructional strategies for high quality course and program offerings;
- Inclusive educational strategies and creation of online learning resources and hybrid and virtual learning environments;
- Teaching platforms and educational software;
- Design and development of transformational face-to-face, hybrid and distance learning environments; responsive and agile learning management systems.
- Research on the advancement of knowledge in teaching and learning (SoTL – Scholarship of teaching)
- Measuring the impact of pedagogical approaches, educational technologies and teaching resources
The Teaching and Learning Support Service's (TLSS) expertise in university teaching makes it a unique and indispensable service at the University of Ottawa.
Services for instructors and TAs
There are countless services you can benefit from if you are a uOttawa faculty member or a teaching assistant:
- New professor orientation days
- TA orientation days
- Teaching technologies supported by uOttawa
- Technical assistance on supported teaching technologies
- Pedagogical assistance on supported teaching technologies
- Course design and development (need a budget code)
- Classroom design, upgrades and renovation
- Artificial intelligence
- Syllabus design
- Inclusive pedagogies
- Pedagogical consultation
- Video capture and production
- Event organization and management
- Teaching Technologies Lab
- And much more...