Dynamic course recording (YuJa)
Make the most of dynamic course recording software. Simplify the way you record and manage your course recordings.
What is YuJa
YuJa is a cloud-based video recording, editing, storage, and streaming service that integrates into Virtual Campus (Brightspace).
YuJa allows you to record or import existing video lectures, edit your videos, organize clips, add audio and visual enhancements, live stream and insert video quizzes.
YuJa can be accessed directly within your Brightspace portal landing page. This page will outline the various step-by-step documentation available for our uOttawa community members, along with recommended practices and frequently asked questions.
Please note: If you are recording your course in a teaching space on campus, please read the Guidelines for media recording of students in learning spaces.
You can also use the Notice of Collection of Personal Information we prepare for you.
Benefits of Yuja
The YuJa Enterprise Video Platform is an all-in-one video experience to securely create, manage, discover, collaborate, and live stream video content across any device. The Platform also integrates into existing enterprise systems including your LMS, SSO, CMS, company intranet, and website.
The Yuja platform has a lot of benefits for students as well as teachers.
Benefits for students:
- Easy to use.
- The YuJa Software Capture application allows users to easily configure what they want to record.
- Provide immediate feedback
- watch lecture videos seamlessly.
- Help students clarify if they understand the course content.
- Get the results of the quizzes immediately.
Benefits for professors:
- Helpful during the evaluation process.
- Download and upload videos easily.
- Edit videos.
- Allow professors to adjust their teaching more effectively.
- Provide immediate feedback from students.
- Create multiple choice / true-false / short answer quizzes.
- Uploading asynchronous lecture captures
- Integrate the quizzes with the LMS Brightspace gradebook
- Recording synchronous lecture captures
- Editing, trimming and cutting videos
- Embed quizzes within lecture captures
Other ways lecture capture can be used:
- Record a visiting professor and then share with others who could not attend
- Record in preparation for a class that will be missed by the professor
- Record a demonstration (how to use a software, how to perform a task, …)
- Record a scientific experiment
- Develop content for a blended or online course
- Share multidisciplinary content - share a lecture capture from a colleague from another department or institution with your students.
- Record a lecture for viewing before class and use class time for active problem solving thus making the in-class or live Zoom session time more dynamic (i.e. flipped classroom)
- Have students listen to a recording out-of class and answer questions on a wiki, thus making the out of class time more productive
- Develop an archive of materials over time which students can use as a reference.
- recordings on prerequisite concepts allowing students to prepare and review when needed
- offering different approaches to course content for students to make it more accessible.
There are two main ways for YuJa to be used: Pre-Recording and Live Streaming.
- Professors can use YuJa’s recording and editing tools to create engaging material for their students.
- Lecture captures can then be shared with students through Brightspace for them to watch at their own leisure.
- Live Streaming
- Professors will set up their equipment (microphone, camera, screen sharing, etc) to prepare for a Live Stream.
- Then professors will share their Live Stream link with their students so they can attend.
- Students can interact with the stream through several YuJa tools, such as the chat function.
- After the Live Stream, the recording can be uploaded to the YuJa course channel and therefore onto Brightspace.
How to use YuJa
YuJa Live Streaming allows faculty members to stream their classes synchronously over the internet. Through the following document, you will learn how to host a Live Stream, features while watching a Live Stream, and all the different settings within the program.
Download the guide on live streaming
YuJa allows faculty members to insert a quiz into a video. The following documentation illustrates this functionality and how it connects with the Virtual Campus (Brightspace) Gradebook. Note: To create a video quiz in YuJa, a video must be uploaded to “My media” section or previously recorded in YuJa.
Download the guide on creating video quiz
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
What is YuJa?
YuJa is a cloud-based video capture, editing and streaming service that uOttawa has purchased for faculty members, students, and support staff. The software allows users to create or upload videos to their online environment and stream content another user provides.
How do I access YuJa?
Login to the Virtual Campus (Brightspace) and click on the YuJa tab from the navigation bar.
How do I get a YuJa account?
uOttawa provides all students and faculty members with a YuJa account. You can access the platform via the Virtual Campus (Brightspace) by clicking on the YuJa from the navigation bar of your course.
Does recording require a particular software?
The YuJa software is installed on classroom computers so you can capture your lectures. However, if you want to capture it on your personal computer, you need to download the YuJa Lecture Capture Software.
- Professor: Yes. You will need to download the YuJa application to be able to live stream or create videos. It can be downloaded from the YuJa tab in Brightspace.
- Students: No. You will be able to access YuJa through Brightspace and most browsers.
How do I edit YuJa videos?
YuJa has an editor tool software that allows the user to trim, edit captioning, insert images, and perform other tasks on videos. Please check the document: Edit a video for the steps to follow.
If a video is deleted by accident, can it be recovered?
Yes, the deleted video will be moved to the Recycle Bin and kept for 60 days. During that time, you may recover it by going to My Account in YuJa, then selecting the Recycle Bin. If someone else is granted Full Access to a video and deletes it, the video will go to the owner's Recycle Bin.
How do I find additional help or support?
You can contact YuJa support or the TLSS for further assistance: saea-tlss@uOttawa.ca.
What should I know about recording students in the classroom?
If you are recording your course in a teaching space on campus, please you must read the Guidelines for media recording of students in learning spaces.
Is it possible to add subtitles to recordings automatically?
Yes, it is possible. Please follow the instructions on this YuJa web page.